[PLUG] Easiest upgrade to RH Enterprise 5

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Dec 27 05:31:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> The next few days I will descend into laptop reconfiguration hell -
> where I want to end up in a few months is with a Redhat Enterprise
> Linux 5 clone.  RHEL5 is still in beta, and the clone I plan to use
> ( Scientific Linux, like Centos with longer support ) will follow
> the Redhat release by a few months.  But I want to do most of the
> work now, before major job activity hits.
>
> The question is, will it be easier to do the upgrade from RHEL4, or
> from Fedora Core 6?  I will have to acquire and compile a lot of
> non-distro packages, and I will probably get into dependency hell
> either way, when I do the final upgrade.  But perhaps someone here
> has seen RHEL5 beta and can guesstimate which of the currently
> available options is the easiest starting point.

My hunch, and it's only that, is that Fedora Core 5 would be the
closest jumping-off point. FC6, nice as it is, is a bit too new;
there's no way its current package set could have gone through all the
vendor testing necessary for RHEL certification.

You might try asking the Scientific Linux or CentOS maintainers;
I suspect they'd know pretty intimately.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com