[PLUG] WipeInfo Equivalent

someone plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Fri Dec 22 08:52:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 20:59 -0800, m0gely wrote:
> someone wrote:
>
> > Why did your client upgrade from Windows 98 anyways?  The problem
> > with XP is that WPA is a royal pain in the butt.  Hardware
> > fingerprinting is just plain wrong, Microsoft is trying to restrict
> > legit use more than piracy.
>
> Ok, I don't like all the things MS does either, but I've yet to have WPA...

Dell Inspiron 5100 P4 2.8 Ghz...  I had to call Microsoft to install to
vmware.  My girlfriend had to reinstall an OEM version of Windows XP
directly on her Celeron desktop and ended up having to call, she
didn't change any hardware.  Neither one of us was trying to install
to a different computer.  How is Microsoft supposed to keep a call
center staffed indefinitely for people to call in and reactivate
their copy of Windows?  If Microsoft is underpaying people in India,
is this something any of us should be supporting?

As far as Vista being the last version of Windows, who believes this
claim?  I certainly don't.  Weren't we all hearing one version of NT
for everyone in the near future back when 98 came out?  There is a
"server" edition, "pro" edition, and "home" edition of Windows today.
Will there be just one version of Vista?

If you have a lot of custom software for NT4.0 that you don't want to
port to something else, that can be a good enough reason to keep NT 4.0.
If you want to run Linux, but all you have is a 486 DX-4 120 with 64
megs of ram, you are not going to run the latest release of gnome on it.
These old systems lack the necessary processing power and bus
speed to host the latest crop of fully featured Linux distributions.
I have one, I run Redhat 6.2 on it.

There will come a time when you don't want to fight activation
mOgerly.  A time will come when having to call someone will be
asking too much of you, especially if the call center ever shuts
down or you lose phone service and can't call out.

With XP, it sometimes decides that a key has been used for activation
before and it won't accept it again.  This behavior seems to be
truly random.

Why mogerly are you defending WPA by saying that it's not the
big deal as I'm making it out to be?  I've seen ReactOS bashed
by people who say that Windows is cheap and WPA is no big deal.
You'd think WPA isn't controversial at all listening to some
people talk about it.

I am glad that the FAT file system was never clamped down on.  It's
shocking to hear that Microsoft is trying to throw yet another file
system they are developing in house into the Windows universe.  If
Microsoft wants Vista to be better, it should use open source
high quality GPL'ed components the right way in it.

     Michael C. Robinson