[PLUG] Easiest upgrade to RH Enterprise 5

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Dec 27 22:34:04 UTC 2006

>From: Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com>
> The question is, will it be easier to do the upgrade from RHEL4, or
> from Fedora Core 6?  I will have to acquire and compile a lot of
> non-distro packages, and I will probably get into dependency hell
> either way, when I do the final upgrade.  But perhaps someone here
> has seen RHEL5 beta and can guesstimate which of the currently
> available options is the easiest starting point.

I haven't seen either RHEL4 or RHEL5, but given a choice like that I'd
point to RHEL4. They'll provide /some/ support for RHEL4 to RHEL5
upgrades by making conversion utilities. With FC you'll be completely on
your own, even if there is some limited surface similarity. There *will*
be some compatibility with RHEL4 due to having to support commercial
customers.

>From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>
> My hunch, and it's only that, is that Fedora Core 5 would be the
> closest jumping-off point. FC6, nice as it is, is a bit too new;
> there's no way its current package set could have gone through all the
> vendor testing necessary for RHEL certification.

I wouldn't be surprised for RHEL 5 to be similar to FC4 or earlier for
that very same reason. The key point is there are no guarentees, and in
this situation that tends to point to the conservative option, RHEL4.