[PLUG] Phone/PDA Recommendations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 28 02:13:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Charles Sliger wrote:

> I'm looking for insights on phone/pda combo's.

Charles,

   For almost six years now (anniversary in a couple of weeks) I've been
happily using my Kyocera QCP-6035. It's a PalmOS PDA (I think equivalent to
the Palm III) and a cell phone. It will also do text messaging and more, but
I don't have any need for that stuff.

   There are newer models (color screens and I don't know what else). It has
worked flawlessly for me all this time; it lives in a full leather jacket
and has survived being dropped on the ground a half-dozen or so times. I've
upgraded the firmware two or three times and the local Verizon store.
There's also the Palm Treo but I've never used anything but my trusty ol'
6035.

   Since about 1998 I've used Judd Montgomery's jpilot desktop. It works with
the standard pilot link library. It's worked for every PalmOS PDA we've had
from the Personal through the Handspring Visor Pro; serial and USB. Look at
<http://www.jpilot.org/>. It's run on Red Hat (4.1-7.3) and Slackware
(8.1-11.0). Judd's a great guy and has done a terrific job with this tool.

   I won't buy any device that runs any flavor of Microsoft; that's my
preference. The PalmOS works just fine for me. There are several linux-based
PDAs, but I don't know if any of them include a cell phone.