[PLUG] WPA - was WipeInfo Equivalent

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Sat Dec 30 04:36:47 UTC 2006

someone wrote:

> Dell Inspiron 5100 P4 2.8 Ghz...  I had to call Microsoft to install to
> vmware.  My girlfriend had to reinstall an OEM version of Windows XP
> directly on her Celeron desktop and ended up having to call, she
> didn't change any hardware.  Neither one of us was trying to install
> to a different computer.

My comment was directed towards this "Microsoft is trying to restrict
legit use more than piracy".  If you're experience is much less
tolerance from Windows for installed software or re-installation w/o any
hardware changes, I'm not disputing that.  I just look at it as 5 to 10
to minutes out of your day when it happened.  Does any other software or
OS do this?  Well no for the most part but more are jumping on the
"activation" bandwagon all the time.  And they're certainly not doing it
to discourage legit users.  You're in a small minority. I would be
surprised if MS hit 5% of a legit install base of Windows in some Asian
countries.  This and casual copying is why WPA exists.

The desire to run commercial closed source software is no more wrong
than a person who prefers open source, it's just different.  Both come
with caveats.  I bet you've spent a lot more time hacking away at why
some app didn't install/run or compile on your linux machine 100 fold
more than WPA took out of your life, right?  I know this is the case
with me and using FreeBSD, but I know this comes with the territory.

> How is Microsoft supposed to keep a call
> center staffed indefinitely for people to call in and reactivate
> their copy of Windows?  If Microsoft is underpaying people in India,
> is this something any of us should be supporting?

As I said, Win9x is still supported with what updates are still
available via Windows Update.  The same will be with XP.  You can
speculate all you want, but it is years away when anything on this will
be known either way.

> If you have a lot of custom software for NT4.0 that you don't want to
> port to something else, that can be a good enough reason to keep NT 4.0.

You can run NT4 for as long as you like.  Just like *any* OS which has
reached the end of it's life cycle, you just need to take the proper
precautions for where it's used, be it public or private in nature.  But
eventually when the only hardware available never had drivers for NT4
written for it, you'll port. :)

> There will come a time when you don't want to fight activation
> mOgerly.  A time will come when having to call someone will be
> asking too much of you, especially if the call center ever shuts
> down or you lose phone service and can't call out.

For now, activation is small on the list of things I don't like about
MS.  Far more important to me are their business practices among other
things.  Personally I see myself owning a Mac as my primary computer in
the future, or getting to the point FreeBSD can be what I primarily use.
  I'm tied to it because of a couple apps though.

> Why mogerly are you defending WPA by saying that it's not the
> big deal as I'm making it out to be?

eh, it's "m0gely".  You know, like in the Disney flick, but l337? ;)

Because in my experience, it's not.  I know some people have had bad
experiences with it, and for some more recently it has even involved
re-installing the OS to make WPA happy.  This would suck.  I just know
it's not true for the masses, and dispute your implication that MS seems
to be targeting legit users more so than piracy.

> I've seen ReactOS bashed

Eh, good luck to them, but they are not a realistic option in any
regard.  They run a *very limited* set of actual Windows applications,
none of which are productivity based.  It's just not even a
consideration.  What does ReactOS have over Ubuntu?

--
- m0gely