[PLUG] Printer Decision

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Wed Feb 1 16:32:12 UTC 2006

Thank you to every one who responded.  The decision for this go round is ... Kinkos.j

Show up with a PDF on a USB thumb drive and for small jobs print to the HP color
laser in the PC area for 99 cents a page.  For larger jobs turn over to the
counter folks for printing.  Duplex is available.  Having it run by the counter
folks is something like 86 cents a page for 8.5x11.  Scaling to other sizes
available.

Summary of responses:
Samsung makes a reasonable printer.
Epson gives the option of specialty inks if you have archival concerns.[1]
HP and Epson are the suggested lines, http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html
Carla's links are a wonderful overview.
Canon, if you can get the driver, has the lowest cost for ink.

[1] If you've ever enjoyed looking at old photographs you've benefitted from
archival processing.  I'm right now scanning color photos from the 60s that are
yellowed and have other color shifts.  The lack of archival color process from
that era is hurting.  We're talking less than half a projected lifespan here.
Your family photos should outlive you.  EndOfRant.

--
   Michael Rasmussen, Portland, Ore, USA
  Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity