[PLUG] thoughts on debian's newfangled iptables startup

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Feb 1 23:06:54 UTC 2006

Sometime when I wasn't looking, Debian went and ditched /etc/init.d/iptables.
The newfangled way to start iptables automatically is to write your usual
iptables script, then drop it into /etc/network/if-up.d. (You can also make
inline entries in /etc/network/interfaces.)

I suppose it makes sense to bring up iptables only when networking is up. But
I'm more comfortable keeping stuff separate, it's easier to debug and test.
Any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of the new way?

There's a bit of information at /usr/share/doc/iptables/README.Debian.gz, and
you can still use the old init script if you prefer.