[PLUG] thoughts on debian's newfangled iptables startup

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Feb 2 02:43:11 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 17:16, John Jordan wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2006, at 15:06, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > Sometime when I wasn't looking, Debian went and ditched
> > /etc/init.d/iptables.
>
> I have no opinion on the issue. But this thread reminded me that I
> have been wondering about security on my Ubuntu-64 Breezy
> laptop.
>
> At home it connects to the internet via ethernet to the hub and
> router. The router has no firewall. The only other computer on the
> ethernet is my Windows 2000 computer, on which I have Sygate
> firewall. In several years of operation there has never been a
> problem. I assume the Sygate firewall is doing its thing. Plus,
> since the computers are behind the router, I guess no one out
> there can actually see what they are. All they see is the router,
> right?
>
> On occasion I take the laptop to PSU and connect via pub.net. And
> occasionally I connect at other locations, including once in a while
> at a coffee shop.
>
> I have never touched the security settings on this computer. If
> Ubuntu-64 Breezy did not install any security, then there is none. I
> assume it did, however. But is it adequate? How can I check? No
> problems so far, but I know zero about these things. Maybe it's
> time to enhance my knowledge in this area.

The default Ubuntu install leaves no open ports, so there is nothing to
attack. So not having a firewall is probably OK. But it's pretty rare to be
able to function this way- users usually need to at least share printers and
files. Run nmap on your laptop from a second computer to double-check,
something like this:

# nmap -sV -O ip-address

As far as winduhs goes, I wouldn't be too sure. It's not always obvious.