[PLUG] Wireless bridge to LAN

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:50:19 UTC 2006

On 2/1/06, fh hillsboro <linux at frankhunt.com> wrote:
> Well, it looks like there is a veritable plethora of options for
> wireless bridges out there.  Linksys, Belkin, Buffalo Technologies - to
> name a few - all offer just what I'm looking for.  I guess it's off to
> Fry's on my way to FreeGeek Thursday (like Wilsonville is on the way to
> Portland from Hillsboro).  They usually have a pretty good selection and
> their return policy is OK.
>
> Thanks for all the knowledge . . .

I used to do exactly this with a WRT54G and the Sveasoft firmware.
These days you're probably better off with the OpenWRT instead of
Sveasoft, but same idea.

One caveat I ran across when originally trying to set this up is not
to confuse using a wireless router in client mode (where the wireless
device in the router acts just as a wireless card does) with WDS mode
(which is intended to extend the range of your network wirelessly, but
cuts your bandwidth down, I think in half).  You want client, not WDS.

Eventually silently losing my connection every time our neighbor used
their 2.4GHz phone drove me nuts enough to abandon the wireless
bridge, but it worked well other than the interference problem.

Jason