[PLUG] mgetty-voice...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Wed Feb 1 19:43:25 UTC 2006

It's recording messages okay, but I don't think it's hanging up when the
caller hangs up.  I don't want half a dozen recordings of, "if you'd like
to make a call..."  Is there a configuration parameter that can be changed
to get mgetty-voice to properly detect when the remote party hangs up
early?

My other theory is that I have a phone off the hook, but I'm getting these,
"if you'd like to make a call...," when that clearly isn't the case.

I want to do speaker-phone off of the mgetty-voice controlled
modem, anyone have experience doing this?  I want to use my answering
service as a means to filter callers, this means that I need to be able
to pick up after mgetty-voice has started recording a message.

I want to replace my cron process that translates the messages to wav
files and posts them to another server with a daemon process so that
my messages show up in real time instead of within 10 minutes of being
recorded.  For harassment calls, it's important to know exactly when
the message was recorded.

If I have caller ID, I want to leverage that information to further
screen callers.  For the random unknown caller, I want mgetty-voice
to play a different greeting that says, "You are an unidentified
caller.  Goodbye."  I'm sick and tired of telemarketers.  I feel
that the public needs stronger protection when it comes to being
put on call lists and what it takes to get off of them.  Why are
we an opt-out instead of an opt-in society when it comes to
telemarketers?  You pay for your phone, what gives a stranger the
right to call you up on it and try to sell you something?

I use mgetty-voice because it means that my messages are available
to me on my computer network, and I want to show the people I live
with that I'm intelligent ;-)  I don't want an answering machine
that you buy at a store, most of them anymore don't have an output
to allow easy dumping to a computer or some other digital playback
device.