[PLUG] Sorting out land parcels - A Fuzzy Logic Problem?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Feb 4 04:20:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:44:35PM -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
> Here's a sample of the first few records:
> 1          001T47R27/NWSE SWNE NESW SEC 7 AITKIN TWP
> 2          001T43R22/E2NE SEC 16 WAGNER TWP

> What I want is the following:
> 1          001T47N R27W S7 NWSE
> 1          001T47N R27W S7 SWNE
> 1          001T47N R27W S7 NESW
> 2          001T43N R22W S16 E2NE

> Do you know of any method or software that I can use to do this? Is it
> a fuzzy logic problem or just a hairy mess?

Fuzzy Logic is a different sort of animal.  It looks like you want to
make a pretty smart parser.  I'd start working with Perl or Python,
making something that starts with getting what it understands (the stuff
on the left, stuff from a dictionary like NWSE, obvious terms like "SEC ##"
and "xxxx TWP") and think up any sanity checks I can (e.g. Aitkin Twp. is
always Section 7)

Then you just keep tweaking the parser 'til it gets enough of the cases
to be worth the effort.

--
"Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to
 figure out how to do a 3 hour job in 10 minutes." -- Rev. James Cort