[PLUG] What do y'all want in your servers?

Christian christian at rocksolidservice.com
Mon Feb 6 19:13:48 UTC 2006

Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> Hey PLUG,
>
> .....So I'd like to ask you, pardon me for assuming you might be geeks,
> what you'd be interested in if you were interested in buying a server at
> maybe $50-200.
> Here are a few of the questions I've thought of. Maybe you've even got more
> questions?
>
> Would you rather 10-20G IDE drives or 4-9G SCSI drives?

I would go with the scsi drives.
> Would you rather pay a little extra and have RAID (probably software)
> installed on the system when you get it?

Doubtful, as we are geeks looking for tweaks!
> Would you just like tested equipment, no drives, because you're happy with
> an old processor but you're going to need to go out and get a 500 G drive to
> hold all your music files?

Nah, throw the drives in, or give us options.
> Do you even care what OS is on it (we'd likely put Debian, Mandriva, or
> Ubuntu on it)?
I am definitely a Debian guy.
> Are you just going to wipe it the moment you get it?

If it ain't Sarge, it ain't... well you get the idea!
> What's your bottom end processor you'd consider? If it were dual?

850 single/ 500 dual
> Are there other specializations we should be considering to systems to make
> them more appealing?
A nice big pic of Tux would be alright, for all us penguin lovers!

christian