[PLUG] What do y'all want in your servers?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Feb 6 22:59:41 UTC 2006

>From: Jeff Schwaber <freyley at gmail.com>
> Would you rather 10-20G IDE drives or 4-9G SCSI drives?

Depends on what the server is for. For a true /server/, SCSI all the way.

> Would you rather pay a little extra and have RAID (probably software)
> installed on the system when you get it?

All these have multiple disks, or is this an option? Certainly with 4GB
disks, I'd need several to get the necessary aggregate space. There is the
question you ask below though...

> Would you just like tested equipment, no drives, because you're happy with
> an old processor but you're going to need to go out and get a 500 G drive to
> hold all your music files?

Not in the general case. In particular SCSI drives are pricy. I might add
a giant IDE disk for big files, but the existing space is important.

> Do you even care what OS is on it (we'd likely put Debian, Mandriva, or
> Ubuntu on it)? Are you just going to wipe it the moment you get it?

Print out a hardware configuration and tape it to the system. Include
what hardware kernel modules are loaded, /proc/ioports, /proc/irq and
/proc/pci. Amount of memory, type and speed; number, size and type of
disks.

I /might/ preserve a Debian installation, but in most cases I'd be wiping
and reloading. This might include setting up software RAID (note to the
above question, I can setup software RAID myself).

> What's your bottom end processor you'd consider? If it were dual?

Well, with paying for it, 1GHz single, 600MHz dual. I might use slower,
but I'd be unwilling to pay.

> Are there other specializations we should be considering to systems to make
> them more appealing?

You may be assuming it, but ECC memory is an important factor (registered
memory is worth noting). 64-bit and 66MHz PCI would be worth noting as
well.