[PLUG] Hosting recommendations.

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Feb 6 23:11:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 03:03:11PM -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> I have a couple of servers running VERY low traffic web and my personal
> mail domains.  Being a total geek, I like to have control over exactly
> what's running, so UML sounds like a great idea.
>
> Whom would y'all recommend?  Is somebody dirt cheap (but with caveats)?

Redwood Virtual is exactly that.  Minimum UML for like $10/mo or $100/yr,
decent connectivity but there's been a couple multi-hour outages a year.
I'm currently dumping my $5/mo UML account 'cos my brother and I are
sharing an Ubuntu server at his lab.

I'd love to see hosting with Xen, especially using its migration
features to allow zero-downtime maintenance. (and doesn't it do
checkpointing?)