[PLUG] slackware experts?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Wed Feb 8 02:09:51 UTC 2006

Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:
> Here is the question I am wrestling with.
> I am considering trying Slackware.  I am running Ubuntu and it uses GRUB
> as the bootloader.  Slackware seems to install LiLO.  If I don't install
> LiLO, will GRUB recognize Slackware?
> Will they work together?
> Or is this more trouble than it is worth?

Sure you can use GRUB - just set it up to boot the Slackware kernel and
use the Slackware root filesystem instead of the Ubuntu stuff.

I've used GRUB with Slackware a few times.

> Some of the rants about Slackware say that I will learn more about Linux
> in one install of Slack than most other Linux flavors...what say you Mr.
> Expert? :~)

Definitely.  IMHO, you won't learn more in any other popular distro
except perhaps LFS, if you consider LFS a popular distro.  Slackware
leaves you with a bare system to learn to use...

Rob