[PLUG] What do y'all want in your servers?

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Wed Feb 8 14:23:46 UTC 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> Hey PLUG,
> Here are a few of the questions I've thought of. Maybe you've even got
> more
> questions?
>
> Would you rather 10-20G IDE drives or 4-9G SCSI drives?

Is that 10x20G drives (200Gb) or 4x9 (36Gb total)? Either way, I'd take
SCSI, myself.

> Would you rather pay a little extra and have RAID (probably software)
> installed on the system when you get it?

Software RAID: Hell no. Hardware RAID: Yes.

> Would you just like tested equipment, no drives, because you're happy
> with
> an old processor but you're going to need to go out and get a 500 G
> drive to
> hold all your music files?

Depends on the use of the box. Make it optional?

> Do you even care what OS is on it (we'd likely put Debian, Mandriva, or
> Ubuntu on it)? Are you just going to wipe it the moment you get it?

Depends on the OS/Hardware tuning.

> What's your bottom end processor you'd consider?

200 Mhz , nobody beyond the top 200 sites needs much more CPU (or
better programing, but this is a different discussion though)

>  If it were dual?

2x100 Mhz.

> Are there other specializations we should be considering to systems to
> make
> them more appealing?

Form factor. Rack units count for small sites.
RAM capacity and cost.
Bus speed and metrics.

-Bop
--