[PLUG] Debugging APM for 2.6 kernels - ideas?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Feb 12 04:05:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Keith Lofstrom wrote (and was quoted):
> I am *still* bringing up 2.6.9 on my T30 laptop,

... and ALSO wrote ...

>                                             a version of RHEL4.2
> called Scientific Linux, maintained by Fermilabs.
>
> Unfortunately, like the 2.6 kernel that came with SUSE10,
[ which is 2.6.13-15.7 ]
>                                                     , the pesky
> thing occasionally hangs coming out of suspend (blinking caps-lock
> and scroll-lock, often a sign of kernel panics).  I have not yet
> found a repeatable pattern, and I have tried a few dozen things to
> see if they stop the hangs.  I am using APM

... and here is MY question ...

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 03:32:28PM -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> Why not use a more recent kernel?

I have an out-of-town friend who is obese.  He eats far too much.
He doesn't like doctors, who tell him to eat less and exercise,
but cannot provide him with a pill that will cause him to lose
weight (while still eating too much).  He wants to fix his eating
problem by ... eating.  A very modern consumer attitude, I
suppose, but not my style.

I would rather have enlightenment than enlargement.  My natural
tendency when encountering a problem is not to consume something
more, but to try to understand the problem.  Frobbing kernels will
not help me understand what is going on with this one - unless
someone has evidence that there is a known problem in 2.6.9 that
causes this hangup which was fixed in later kernels.  I switched
FROM a distro that uses 2.6.13-15.7, which had a somewhat similar
lockup problem (and many other problems), partly because so far
there is little written about these later kernels.

So I repeat my question -

HOW DO I OBSERVE WHAT IS GOING ON DURING AN APM RETURN-FROM-SUSPEND ???

If 2.6.13+ kernels provide some new feature that increases
observability during return-from-suspend, I am interested.
Otherwise, trying yet another kernel is not interesting, even if
it does have a small chance of making this particular problem
happen less often.  Without understanding and tools, I am at the
mercy of the next problem that comes along, and unable to help
others.  I will leave the "upgrade and hope the new bugs are
better than the old bugs" approach to the Micro-softheads.  If
I can observe the problem, I can help fix the kernel.

And if you want to question from tools and kernel debugging to
"why newest is best", please change the subject line, OK?

Keith