[PLUG] Debugging APM for 2.6 kernels - ideas?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 12 15:50:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I have an out-of-town friend who is obese.  He eats far too much. He
> doesn't like doctors, who tell him to eat less and exercise, but cannot
> provide him with a pill that will cause him to lose weight (while still
> eating too much). He wants to fix his eating problem by ... eating. A very
> modern consumer attitude, I suppose, but not my style.

> I would rather have enlightenment than enlargement.

   Is 'enlightenment' the next spam fad?

   You know that I'm not a linux guru by any means. When I asked why that
kernel it was because I thought that each kernel release brought with it new
capabilities or fixes for things that did not work as well as desired. But,
you're absolutely correct that I mis-worded my question. What I should have
asked was, "Have you looked to see if a newer kernel solved that particular
problem?"

   If I may gently poke fun at you, your insistence on a solution using the
2.6.9 kernel ("I want to do it my way!") seems to be analogous to your
friend's attitude. I certainly did not mean to frustrate you by asking a
question which you read differently than I intended. I will presume that Rob
meant the same thing: has this issue been defrobbed in a newer kernel?

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"