[PLUG] Re: The command line hates me

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 12 19:51:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, John Jordan wrote:

> From past experience, that can take a very long time. The man pages are as
> hard to figure out as the command line error messages. I realize they are
> totally clear to someone with a degree in computer science, but when you
> are just a user and don't understand the terminology, they are very
> difficult to understand.

   This is true if you're trying to learn the command from the man page. But,
if you know what command you want but need to check the syntax then the man
page is what you want. You don't need to read beyond the synopsis at the top
unless you're looking for the appropriate option.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"