[PLUG] HELP! Disk is screwed up!

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Feb 13 19:37:16 UTC 2006

John Jordan wrote:

>First, my Linux distrbution did not come with any manuals. And yes, I have been
>to Powell's and have several books on my shelf. The problem, which you Linux
>gurus fail to grasp, is that I can't UNDERSTAND the books. I don't have the
>vocabulary.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding Linux system admistration and
ability/time to learn to do everything myself (and then remember it
later!)  The solution I found was to simply hire a guru for the stuff I
couldn't deal with, get it done right, and then concern myself with
learning to use the applications I was interested in. At least this way
I have time to learn the things I want to learn without having to repel
boarders and keep the ship from sinking. I don't think you're going to
score points asking for help on things that you can't resolve due to
lack of inexperience, ability, interest or time, and then complain about
the help offered. If you depend on your Linux system for business or
some other mission-critical purpose, then get an expert, and later when
you're not desparately bailing, trying to keep your system afloat,
you'll have some peace and time to learn the things you need or want to
learn.

Or, if you're like me, decide that you will probably never know enough
about servers and security, and just pay someone to do it for you,
freeing you up to fool around with the applications and less
system-critical stuff. I've been *a lot* happier with my Linux system
and office network ever since I realized that. And it cost me a lot less
than it did in my (otherwise billable) time to repair my system every
time some daemon crapped on the floor or some script-kiddie exploited
something stupid I did.

- Bill Thoen