[PLUG] Xi Graphics X server

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Feb 14 18:41:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Robert Kopp wrote:

> Xi Graphics produces an X-server which they claim is
> superior to the free xorg most of us find bundled with
> our Linux distros, especially with cards that are not
> well-supported for hardware acceleration under Linux
> with free software, such as my Radeon 9200. Is there
> anyone on this list who has used the Xi Graphics
> software and believes that the difference in
> performance is worth paying for?

Wow.  I have not heard anything about them in YEARS.

The ATI 9200 should be supported by ATI's closed source driver.

Xi was useful back when most vendors had no clue as to what Linux was.  A
lot has changed since then.  (Including X performance.)

I don't know what you would gain over using ATI's proprietary driver.  I
don't think Xi ships with source.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."