[PLUG] I need a router...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri Feb 17 01:25:05 UTC 2006

I need to retire my old server that lives in the closet.

I need to replace it with something that will be advanced enough for me
while I am still living here.  I need to replace it with something that
will last forever for when I have moved elsewhere.

I need something reasonably reliable.  These crappy wireless access
points aren't doing the trick.  I have two.  They both require reboots.
 One after doing a few GB of data over UDP.  The other about once a
month.  And that's just with them acting as bridges!  I haven't used
them as routers yet.

So I'm leaning towards something OpenWRT-able.  I need it to be able to
run a reasonably powerful DHCP daemon and a caching DNS server.  This
leaves me looking at one of the OpenWRT-able router/wifi boxen with 8MB
of Flash and 32MB of RAM - like the Linksys WRT54GS 3.0 or earlier.
Unfortunately, they don't make those any more and I don't need the Wifi
half of it.

Have y'all tackled simple linux-based routers (that don't eat up so much
power as a full-blown box) much lately?

Any pointers would be appreciated... and a used WRT54GS 3.0 would be
even better.  :-)

Rob