[PLUG] iPod

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Feb 18 20:27:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, John Jordan wrote:
> After a week of struggling with instructions I found on the web I
> finally broke down and installed iTunes on my Windows computer to do the
> job.
[snip]
> The only further problem I have had with it is when I inadvertently
> forgot to umount it before unplugging it one day. Totally hosed the
> database on the iPod. And the only solution is to reformat and start
> over, which requires iTunes. That was a major PITA to fix.

Actually, no.  You don't need iTunes to do the formatting.  There's a
simple "iPod Updater" utility from Apple that will install the latest
firmware and format the iPod without iTunes.  Very simple.  It's a
one-button GUI.

> I really wish someone would write a Linux database so we could just
> format it ext3 and go 100% Linux on it.

You CAN install Linux on your iPod... that seems like more of a pain than
just using the thing as-is.  Furthermore, having a portable FAT32 drive is
pretty handy as EVERY computer can mount it.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin
     jeme at brelin.net