[PLUG] web browser can't see some sites

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Sat Feb 18 21:19:29 UTC 2006

On Sat February 18 2006 13:09, Jason Kirtland wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > Running Firefox on my linux machine running FC4 (and a 2nd running
> > FC3) cannot get to Google and a number of other web sites, but can
> > get to some other web sites. [...] The DSL modem is an Actiontec
> > GT704-WG.
>
> I've connected to a couple networks serviced by what I think is this
> DSL modem and in both cases the modem's DHCP issued me two DNS entries:
> the modem's IP (192.168.0.1, I think) and the IP of the ISP's main DNS
> server.
>
> I had the same symptoms in Firefox, and I noticed that DNS queries to
> the modem's IP were all failing.  Removing 192.168.0.1 from
> /etc/resolv.conf made the problem go away.
>
> Not sure why it issued that, or how Windows users on the networks were
> able to get reliable DNS service without tweaking anything.
>
> -j

I haven't tested this myself, but I've heard from others that Windows will fallback to either doing it's own resolution, or querying some hardcoded microsoft servers if the local DNS is failing. Seems unlikely to me, but I guess it's possible.

There are a couple things you may want to consider if you have unreliable DNS from lots of locations:

1) Set up a DNS server from your home network with a reasonably-static address. Then enter this address in /etc/resolv.conf and make sure your DHCP client doesn't overwrite that file.

2) Hardcode a public DNS server like Verizon's (4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, etc.) as the primary or fallback server in /etc/resolv.conf. Again, make sure your DHCP client either doesn't overwrite the file, or just appends the local network's servers to it. Verizon's servers are very fast, but if you can use the local ones you should, as per normal netiquette.

.. On rereading this thread, it appears you're only talking about your home system. The above recommendations were with a mobile laptop user in mind, and may still help someone else.

In your case, perhaps you should just hardcode some reliable DNS servers for your boxen and not use the DSL modem?

HTH,
Aaron