[PLUG] iPod

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Feb 19 07:21:52 UTC 2006

On 18 Feb 2006, at 21:39, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> > What I meant was not to install Linux on it, but a Linux clone of
> > the Apple database thingy that will run on ext3. I want the same
> > functionality; I just don't like having to deal with Apple and
> > Windows.
>
> Uh, what would be the point of that?  And how does using FAT32 on your
> iPod mean dealing with Apple or Windows?
>
> What you've got is a portable hard disk.  Seems like it makes most
> sense to have a filesystem on the thing that is universaly
> read/writable.  EXT3 ain't.

Sorry, I'm not making myself clear. I have no real objection to
FAT32, other than the fact that from what I read, ext3 is more
robust. My main problem is with the Apple software. The iTunes
database on the iPod is far from robust. Plus, it kind of sucks, from
a user interface standpoint. Few options. You're stuck with what
Apple thought you wanted. And if you want to interface with it
without using iTunes you need an application that has essentially
reverse-engineered the Apple software, e.g., gtkpod. Wouldn't life
with an iPod on Linux be a lot easier if we just put an all-Linux
database program on it, written from the ground up as a Linux app?
And while we're at it, we could run it on a sturdy filesystem like
ext3.

Maybe I'm just trying too hard to be a Linux purist. OK, I'm far from
being a Linux purist. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be.