[PLUG] Where is smb?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Feb 19 17:31:47 UTC 2006

Ubuntu-64 Breezy, Gnome desktop, love it. But some time ago I banned Nautilus after it ate some files one day. Ever since I have been trying to find a file manager that suits me. For lack of anything better, I have been using Konqueror. In fact, my only problem with it is that it takes forever to launch. I suspect the problem is that it is also an internet browser and it's looking for a connection. I wish I could turn that off, but evidently that can't be done.

So last night I found XFE, and I love it. Fast, simple, does what I want and no more. However, I can't figure out how to get it to see my Windows 2000 desktop. In Konqueror I have this set up as a bookmark. If I click on the bookmark it pops up a dialog box asking for my password on the Windows 2000 computer, I enter it, and I'm in. I can drag and drop stuff back and forth. Cool. But I can't find where Konqueror is mounting the Windows computer. Or is "mounting" the right term? All I know is that in the Konqueror location bar it says "smb://jcj@devil4/" but when I copy and paste this into the location bar in XFE it goes nowhere. I think the problem is that in Konqueror it just starts with "smb ..." and in XFE I can't get rid of the initial folder -- I can get all the way down to root, but then there is still a "/" in the location bar, so it says "/smb://jcj@devil4/."

Surely there is a simple way to do this. XFE does allow me to create bookmarks. Maybe I need to create a mount point for the Windows share?