[PLUG] "Enter email address" CGI code for web page

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 21 03:52:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:18:27PM -0500, drew wymore wrote:
> Hi Keith-
> I think this should do the trick.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Great pointer - the magic word is "CAPTCHA", (an acronym for "Completely
Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart").  The
Wikipedia article goes into it at great length, points at coding examples,
and points out that there are some laboratory demonstrations of cracking
techniques, as well as problems for blind folks.

One of the cool pointers is to http://captchas.net/ , a free site that
provides both visual and audio captchas (for the blind) that I can link
a Perl program to.  That seems like the easiest way to provide an
accessable page, reduce dependencies, and let somebody else keep the
technology updated.  If they go away, there are other options.

It is not like this must be absolutely great - if a spammer decides to
burn valuable compute resources cracking my captchas, they have earned
the right to get through greylisting and talk to spamassassin.  Further,
since I expect this to be used rather rarely, a burst of usage probably
indicates abuse, and I can simply throw those addresses away, or perhaps
use them to Detect Crimes.  It is unlikely that I will have to worry
about it - spammers have higher value victims.

Keith