[PLUG] Sound: The Encore

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 24 04:12:38 UTC 2006

   Since getting sound working on the workstation/server was so easy -- once I
had the wire plugged in correctly -- I decided to get sound working again on
the two portables. But, so far no luck.

   The Sony Vaio had working sound with the 2.4.24 kernel, now that I'm
running 2.6.13 I cannot find /proc/asound nor any indication in dmesg of what
the sound chip might be. There's also no /dev/dsp. The IBM ThinkPad 600E is
running the 2.4.31 kernel (same as my workstation/server), but that, too, has
no /proc/asound/ and no indication in dmesg of what the sound chip is. Sound
used to work on both.

   Starting at the beginning, what are the options for determining the sound
chips in these two portables? Once I know that I can make sure I have the
modules loaded and running and run down the trouble-shooting list at the ALSA
Web site.

Thanks,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"