[PLUG] Sound: The Encore

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Feb 25 23:29:47 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  cs4232 is loaded; it's also in /etc/modules.conf so it should be loaded
> upon boot. I've restarted /etc/rc.d/rc.sound. 'aumix' shows the volume at
> 83%. When I run xmms, there's still no sound.

   More update:

   Checking the alsa sound wiki's trouble-shooting page, I can confirm that
there is no /proc/asound/. Also, alsaconf tries to find a legacy CS4236 card,
but fails; the CS4232 driver worked on the 600E before.

   /dev/sndstat exits. So does /dev/snd; it contains a mess of file names. I'm
stuck here and looking for some ideas and help. What puzzles me is why
there's no /proc/asound/ on that box since the module is loaded and so is
alsa. Sigh.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.