[PLUG] firewall

Bruce Kilpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Mon Feb 27 19:27:18 UTC 2006

The Ubuntu faq states:

        Does Ubuntu come with a firewall installed?

Since Ubuntu doesn't run any daemons that listen to the outside world by
default (the postfix install only listens on localhost) there's no need
for a default firewall.

The rationale is that if a user's got a need for installing a
world-facing daemon, they'll be aware that they should configure a
firewall/ACL for it too.

Does this mean that I don't really need the firewall in the Actiontec
DSL modem turned on?  What daemons that listen to the outside world
might I have turned on in my experimentation with Ubuntu 5.10?

The only thing I am doing with this box at this time is email and
browsing the Internet, and I have no WinDoze box running at this time.

Bruce