[PLUG] firewall

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Feb 28 05:40:52 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 19:49, John Jordan wrote:
> The point I want to make is that there are a lot of us n00bies out
> here running Linux without much knowledge of what we are doing
> with respect to firewalls. I know I wish I knew more about the
> subject, but I fear the time it would take to learn it on my own
> would be prohibitive. Might it be possible to have firewalls be a
> Clinic topic some day? Or a class at Free Geek? Or something?

 My recommendation for noobs, until they get the hang of iptables, is to use
one of those little broadband routers from D-Link and Linksys and the like.
You can find them for less than $50, and they do a good job for a home
network. You're up and running, protected, and learning basic concepts.
They're small and don't use much power. I like a standalone firewall/router
because it stops the junk before it bogs down your LAN.