[PLUG] Starting up a web page

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Feb 28 22:13:02 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Is there a convention for basic font size on Web pages for viewers with
> 40+-year-old eyes stuck with IE?

Specify font sizes in em rather than px.  This allows a readers browser
configuration to determine the default font scaling.

Aside from the issue of 40+ IE users, the desirable font size differs from display
to display.  Consider the differences between:

  * a 21" CRT
  * a 17" LCD
  * an 11" laptop
  * a PDA
  * a cell phone

I was pleasantly surprised when people at a randonneuring event thanked me for
making the Oregon Randonneurs site readable on their PDAs.  I hadn't done anything
special - aside from going light on the graphics and specifying all font sizes in
em units.

--
   Michael Rasmussen, Portland, Ore, USA
  Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity