[PLUG] Chroot

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 1 15:12:36 PST 2006

OK, I finally decided to brave the chroot waters. My goal was (is) to
install Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my Ubuntu-64 Breezy laptop. I found
instructions for installing chroot at:
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/installation/chroot32bits
Amazingly, I managed to get all the way through it without errors. I
now have a /chroot directory. I managed to get Syanptic32 loaded
and, lo and behold, Acrobat Reader 7.0 was listed. (It is not listed
in 64-bit Synaptic.)

I installed it and everything seemed to go OK. But at the very end
of the instructions they explained how to use Synaptic32 to install
applications. They used Flash as the example. Well, when it
comes to French I suck. I just couldn't quite figure out the last part;
that is, I think I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 installed in chroot, but I
can't figure out how to launch it. Something about links that I don't
get.

Another curiousity -- I can't find the executable file under chroot.
The only files labeled "acroread" are a shell script and an
executable, bot of which were installed previously when I was trying
to install Acrobat Reader before installing chroot. I have no idea
where Synaptic32 put the files. Or did it just link to the original
ones? Or what?

In any event, typing "acroread" does nothing. I just get "command
not found." Doing it as sudo has the same effect. Double-clicking
on the script or on the executable also does nothing.

I'm sure there is a trick to this that a n00bie like me hasn't figured
out yet.