[PLUG] Personal Check Register Software

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 2 19:52:12 UTC 2006

On 2 Jan 2006, at 8:51, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    I've used gnucash for several years and I really like the pragmatic
> interface without useless eye candy. Unfortunately, it no longer runs
> with Slackware-10.2. I spent more than 5 hours yesterday trying to
> resolve the gnome dependencies, but gave up when it wanted a different
> version of glib.

I used it when I had 64-bit Ubuntu Hoary. But when I upgraded to
Breezy it broke. Dependency issues.

But this thread reminded me that I've been meaning to try again.
(It's been a couple months since I balanced things.) So I went into
Synaptic and reinstalled it. Sure enough, dependencies broken.
Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the error messages said,
but I know that it referred to a specific library and that a different
library was expected.

So I went into Synaptic and noted that the offending library was
installed, and the other one was not installed. I installed the other
one, but GnuCash still wouldn't start.

So then I uninstalled GnuCash completely, and then looked again
at the libraries. The offending library was not only no longer
installed, it wasn't even listed in Synaptic. So, acting on a hunch, I
installed the "expected" one. And then I reinstalled GnuCash. And,
wonder of wonders, it is working fine. No errors at all. And upon
reinstallation it did not install the offending library. I am assuming
the offending library is one that it installs if it can't find the
"expected" one.

Wish I could remember the names of the libraries involved. Once I
solve a problem my brain assumes all information related to it is
now redundant so, out it goes.