[PLUG] Emacs & Python

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 5 23:46:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> Can you find out what function [Esc]-% is calling?  In the problematic
> buffer do:
>
> [Ctrl]-h k [Esc]-%

Rogan,

   A-ha! This is great to know.

   And, it turns out I presented the wrong command. It should be [Esc]-c. Now,
I see that capitalizes the following word (which is exactly what it's doing),
but it also copies the blocked text to the mouse buffer for pasting in a
different emacs buffer.

   So, looking at my handy-dandy GNU Emacs Quick Reference Card, I see that I
was doing it incorrectly all this time; mea culpa! What I should have been
doing -- and will do from now on -- is block the text, then use [Esc]-w to
copy it (where Ctrl-w cuts it), followed by ctrl-y to yank it back in the new
buffer.

Thanks for straightening me out, Rogan,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"