[PLUG] simple cable question

Russ Gilman-Hunt (YAR) gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 11:10:52 PST 2006

Hi. We have a misfunctioning Baytech RPC-3 Remote Power Control that is 
flashing its "help me" light in a specific code that a PDF manual claims 
means "system misconfiguration." And nobody can connect to the ethernet 
interface of this RPC. The obvious answer is that there's something screwed 
up with the Ethernet interface, and I should connect via the serial 
connection to fix it. But I can't find the cable to do it, and I don't want to look 
like a total ignoramus when I try to order one.

What I think we need is to connect via a serial port on one of the servers
(the normal D shaped jobbie) to what looks like an RJ45 connection 
labelled EIA-232. I don't know what to call this cable and I don't know if 
I need to specify "cross over", "null modem" or anything. 

What do I call this cable, and can I buy one in Portland or do I have to 
order online?

Russ Gilman-Hunt
gilmanhunt at comcast.net

More information about the PLUG mailing list