[PLUG] SuSE 8.2 disk integrity check configuration

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Jan 9 10:04:52 PST 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Chris Dawson wrote:

> I have a few SuSE 8.2 machines.  Every 30 reboots, the OS does a
> disk integrity check to make sure there are no bad sectors on the
> disk. Since this is a 200 GB disk, it can take 20 to 30 minutes.
> Is there a way to detemine how many more reboots before that check?
> I'd like to be able to prepare better.  Anyone know where this is
> stored, and even how to change it?

It'll depend completely on what filesystem you're using: ext2 or ext3?
reiser? xfs? ???

For ext{2,3}, try "tune2fs -l /dev/sda1" (substituting '/dev/sda1'
with your local device). Compare the "Mount count" field with "Maximum
mount count."

I'm unfamiliar with reiser filesystems, so someone else will need to
chime in for them...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com