[PLUG] df shows 33G used, but it does not add up with du

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:07:58 UTC 2006

On 1/9/06, Robert Anderson <riznob at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am aware of the 5% reserved for su. However it appears that more than 18%
> of the disk space is unaccounted for by du.

I seem to recall seeing a question like this some time back (years
ago).  IIRC, the answer was that some files had been orphaned in the
filesystem -- the data existed, but there were no directory entries
pointing to them.  Thus, counting used space by traversing the
filesystem did not count those files, and showed a discrepancy with
df, which presumeably uses some other method of determining free space
(I've no idea how it does this).

If this is the case, running fsck on the afflicted partition (in
single-user mode, or with it unmounted) should track down the files
and put them in  /mythtv/lost_and_found *or some similarly named
directory).  At that point you can look at them and see if it's
something you need or not.

I could also be remembering this all wrong, but in any case, a quick
(well, ~20 min) fsck isn't a bad idea :)

--Rogan