[PLUG] df shows 33G used, but it does not add up with du

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:13:44 UTC 2006

Usually when I've seen that, it's due to either sparse files or
filesystem corruption.

Before fsck'ing it, try totaling an 'ls -s' of the recursive contents
of that directory... that'll give you the "actual" on-disk block
usage.  That can differ significantly from that reported in the
filesystem metadata.

Something like:
  for i in `find . -type f` ; do ls -s $i | awk '{print $1}' ; done

Compare that total *  your block size to the DF/DU.

For a read-only fsck of the partition, check your local manpages.

/eli