[PLUG] .pdf page extraction

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 10 20:52:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> I need to extract a few pages out of a bunch of .pdf files and combine them
> into one file. I tried pdftotext, but I loose the formatting, so that
> doesn't work. I don't care that I can't edit the text.
>
> Any recommendations?

   Yup. pdftk, the PDF Tool Kit.

"Pdftk is a simple, command line tool for doing everyday things with PDF
documents. Use it to merge PDF documents, split PDF pages into a new
document, decrypt input as necessary (password required), encrypt output as
desired, fill PDF forms with FDF data and/or flatten forms, apply a
background watermark, report on PDF metrics, update PDF metadata, attach
files to PDF pages or the PDF document, unpack PDF attachments, burst a PDF
document into single pages, decompress and re-compress page streams, and
repair corrupted PDF files (where possible)."

   It will also turn on the coffee maker in the morning if properly
configured. Cures bunions, too. Source tarball available.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"