[PLUG] Drive partitioning

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri Jan 13 01:24:18 UTC 2006

>From: Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com>
> Logical partitions often serve the needs of Linux users as well as any other kind. My Debian boot partition is a logical partition. I believe you can have only one extended partition per physical IDE drive. How many logical partitions can it contain?

Somewhere between "lots" and "infinite". You'll start running out of
device minor numbers at 11 or 59, so those are the limits as far as I
know.

>From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>    In my ignorance of all this technical stuff, I have 12 partitions on this
> server/workstation:
>
> /dev/hda3        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
> /dev/hda1        /                reiserfs    defaults         1   1
> /dev/hda10       /tmp             reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda11       /vm              reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda12       /data1           reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda13       /data2           reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda2        /boot            reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda5        /home            reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda6        /usr             reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda7        /usr/local       reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda8        /opt             reiserfs    defaults         1   2
> /dev/hda9        /var             reiserfs    defaults         1   2
>
>    It's been working just fine for almost 2.5 years.

Cute. Contrast mine...

/dev/md0        /               ext3    defaults,ro             12      2
/dev/md1        none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs defaults,nodev,noexec,nosuid,size=16M 0 0
/dev/md5        none            jbd     defaults                0       1
/dev/md4        /var            ext3    defaults,data=journal   12      3
/dev/md3        /usr            ext3    defaults,ro,nodev       12      3
/dev/md6        /mnt/lclhme     ext3    defaults,nodev,nosuid   12      3
/mnt/lclhme/lcl /usr/local      ext3    defaults,bind,ro        0       0
/mnt/lclhme/hme /home           ext3    defaults,bind           0       0
#/dev/sdd       /mnt/stage      ext3 defaults,nodev,noexec,nosuid       0 3

Now I just need #316040 fixed...

>From: Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com>
>  According to another source, SCSI has at most 15; IDE, 63
>
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/07/msg03408.html
>
>  I wonder what the reason for this discrepancy is?

Number of disks you're likely to have and scarcity of device numbers.
Given you can have 15 conventional SCSI disks with only one controller,
you can use a lot of device nodes quickly. With merely 2 disks per
controller, scarcity isn't as a big deal quite as quickly with IDE.