[PLUG] directed graph rendering software?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Jan 13 18:40:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Brent Rieck wrote:

> Hello,
>   Does the collective intelligence of PLUG have any recommendations for
> software that can render a not-ugly display of a directed graph?
> Ideally it'd output to PNG or GIF, be able to be run from the command
> line, and not be Java.  All the ones I've found so far have been big
> Java GUIs..

GraphViz is about the only thing I have found.  (And it is still pretty
ugly.)  It is about the only thing I have found where I can hand it the
graph and say "go draw this".  Really big graphs get messy due to
limitations of a 2d visual space.  (You can only have so many lines before
the spirit of the Flying Spaghetti Monster inhabits your image.)

I would be interested in finding something that works as well.  All useful
layout software seems to think that you will sit at the gui and draw it.
Few will generate diagrams from data.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."