[PLUG] Meaning of CPU stuff in TOP

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Sun Jan 15 20:44:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> My man page mentions CPU states a number of times, but does not explain
> what the various two-letter codes mean.  I am running kubuntu.  man -V
> top yields version 2.4.3, 2005-07-03

fyi, that's probably the version of man, not the version of top.  Try 'top
-v'.

But you're correct, the man page for top may not have the CPU state
information spelled out.  It isn't in my version (from procps-3.2.5).

As a general rule, if you're going to tell someone to RTFM, it's a good
idea to make sure the FM has the material there for them to R.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com