[PLUG] ntp link

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Jan 16 08:56:02 UTC 2006

>From: Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net>
> When Ubuntu is booting I noticed that it tries to link to the
> ntp.ubuntulinux.org (I think) to synchronize the computer's internal
> clock.  It shows a failure.
> What do I need to edit to get this to work?

What is the error message?

Your guess is correct, it is trying to use Network Time Protocol to
synchronize with ntp.ubuntulinux.org. Could be a nameservice failure,
overloading of that NTP server, or your clock is badly wrong. How do you
prefer your clock chip set? Local time or GMT? With local time you end up
changing it twice a year, but this is conventional practice with IBM PCs.
GMT allows the clock chip to be set and only adjust for drift over time
and the Unix timezone handling will handle DST correctly.

The config for ntpd would be /etc/ntp.conf. Timezone is /etc/ something,
`apropos timezone` should point to the correct man page.