[PLUG] Correct use of 'tee'

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 16 06:03:55 PST 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Russell Senior wrote:

> you might try the command "script" for this type of thing.
>
>   $ script
>   Script started, file is typescript
>   $ make
>   [...]
>   $ exit
>   Script done, file is typescript
>   $ less typescript
>   "typescript" may be a binary file.  See it anyway? y
>   [...]

   Thank you, Russell. I saw the reference in the tee man page. While I've
known of tee for years I've not tried it before yesterday. Such a simple
command, but I just could not get it to work. After all, if it's supposed to
copy what goes to stdout to the named file, there should be no need for
explicit redirection on the command line. No?

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"