[PLUG] Visio on Linux?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 17 19:09:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, John Jordan wrote:

> 2) Ipe installed fine and ran OK, although I had to launch it from the
> command line. But text handling is pathetic. You can't even select the
> font. Uninstalled it.

   You must have used a different application than the ipe that I use. All
text is handled as LaTeX and the output is typeset. It's at the opposite
extreme from "pathetic." The native file format is PSTricks.

> 3) Tgif ran OK, but again I had to launch it from the command line.

   Yeah. A lot of *nix are that way. Once I'm sure the path to the executable
is OK I make a new entry for it on an Xfce menu and off it goes.

> 5) Jpicedit is not listed in Synaptic. Must mean it won't run on a 64- bit
> system. I could probably install it in Chroot, but unless I hear great
> things about it, I'll pass.

   It's a java app that uses LaTeX and produces .pdf files directly.

> 6) Also skipped gri. Evidently it is only command line, which
> means it is not usable for my purposes.

   It's a plotting/graphing language. By default you enter commands in a
terminal window, then run the program.

   I suppose that a general drawing program is more suited to you than is a
scientific plotting application, a graphics language, or typeset text on the
figure.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"