[PLUG] ntp link

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Jan 18 00:03:01 UTC 2006

>From: Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net>
> Here is the response from the machine after changing the ntp server and stopping
> and restarting ntp-server.
>
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>  blade.avnf.com  .INIT.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
>  LOCAL(0)        73.78.73.84      5 l   49   64    3    0.000    0.000
> 0.001
>
> If I read this right I am set to local time.  I will do some more
> looking for the place to reset to UTC.

Your IP address is 73.78.73.84?

You're trying to synchronize to blade.avnf.com, but so far you haven't
been able to get any response from it. This is indicated by the 16 in the
"st"ratum column (stratum 1 is you've got a GPS or other authoritative
timekeeping device directly connected). "Reach" of 0 explicitly states
your system has been unable to connect. Likely need to restart ntpd to
try another NTP server, possibly blade.avnf.com is overloaded.

If you see a line with a <5 stratum >0 reach then that says your system
is successfully talking to the NTP server. Once you're connecting if
offset is above 10, then your clock is likely set wrong. A space in the
first column means your system isn't synchronized to that server, a plus
means you're connecting and the server passes the sanity checks, and a
star means your system is synchronizing with that server.