[PLUG] Visio on Linux?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 00:06:05 UTC 2006

On 17 Jan 2006, at 11:57, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> Would something like Inkscape work for what you're trying to do?

I've had Inkscape installed just about ever since I started using
Linux last summer. It's really nice, but designed for just single-
image files, like Illustrator. I need to do documents that might get
to 20-30 pages or more, with diagrams interspersed in the text. The
diagrams are all simple, but they need to have a certain uniformity
to them.

Furthermore, even if I tried to use Inkscape to create the drawings,
it uses SVG file format, which nothing else seems to be able to
use (not OO.o). I can't even copy and paste from it into anything
else that I might be able to use for the text.

What I really need is a simple vector drawing app that has
excellent text capabilities, and is a GUI. OpenOffice.org comes the
closest, but it takes me a long time to position the graphics. The
problem is that I am using it as I work on projects in linguistics.
This means that I make a lot of mistakes and need to redo the
drawing after I figure out where I went wrong. Each time I need to
do that I have rebuild just about the entire page. Moreover, the final
results are not as good as I'd like, because it's really hard to line
up the diagrams with the text, both horizontally and vertically.
Others in my classes have suggested Visio, which is why I started
out asking for a Visio clone for Linux. Visio is really designed for
flow charts, which is very similar to what I need to do.

Maybe I should have asked for a flow chart application. :(