[PLUG] Visio on Linux?

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:19:16 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2006, at 16:07, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
>
> > You can run Visio on Linux using XCrossover Office, I think it's
> > called. I've done that, and it works pretty well.  Another app' that
> > might suit your needs is PageMaker (used for typesetting), but I'm not
> > sure that works on Linux at all.  There aren't many (any?) native
> > Linux app's that really do this sort of work.
>
> Yes, I already knew that Crossover Office would run Visio. I can
> even get the Pro version of Crossover Office for $56 academic price
> via download, although I'd also have to spring for a copy of Visio
> (ugh). I'd much rather not spend even the $56, plus I am trying to
> be as much a purist as I can. OK, I'm not particularly pure in any of
> the other aspects of my life, so I don't know why I want to be a
> Linux purist, but I do. Maybe because it's my only hope of ever
> being pure at anything. :)
>
> And Crossover Office will also run InDesign 2.0, although not CS or
> CS2. Not sure about PageMaker, but who cares if it will run
> InDesign. Even InDesign 2.0 can run the pants off of any other
> layout app. However, I am pinning my hopes on Scribus in the
> page layout department.
>
> I spent some time today and finally got Kivio to launch. It did not
> install a launch item in the Gnome Applications menu, so I tried to
> run it from the command line. Kept getting errors and it wouldn't
> launch. After much googling I found a reference that suggested it
> was a permissions thing. Sure enough, "sudo kivio" did the trick. I'll
> figure out later how to fix it.
>
> At least I got it running so I could explore it. And that is where I
> became disappointed. It handles text reasonably well as to the
> characters, but there is no paragraph formatting. Not even tabs. No
> indents either. How can I use a tool like that to write a report?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but have you considered writing your
report with a word processor, creating your diagrams with a drawing
program, and embedding the drawings in your word processor document?
I'm afraid I don't see how you can hold paragraph formatting against a
drawing program.

Jason, Visio user