[PLUG] carrier-grade Linux, linux on high-end networking hardware

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jan 18 22:11:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:33:53AM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I was looking at some articles on "Carrier Grade Linux", and wondering
> if anyone has rolled-their-own super-duper high-speed router or other
> networking widget? Is there bare hardware available somewheres, so you
> can cobble up your own homegrown equivalent to a high-end Cisco
> router, for example?

Check out Nexcom's cute li'l 1U router boxes.  They even have CF slots
so you can run the thing entirely out of flash.  (see: Limey Linux)

> Or, has anyone taken a commercial gadget like Cisco, maybe got a great
> deal on Ebay, and put Linux on it?

Yup.  For the 2500 series, at least.
http://www.mcvax.org/~koen/uClinux-cisco2500/platforms.html

--
Tales of Cisco-induced semi-psychotic fits are common.  Often, people on
a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering